Tuesday, June 22, 2010

recap

I’ve been in Cairo for nearly three weeks. Do I feel different or changed as a result? No, I pretty much feel the same way as when I left…I’ve been hanging out with some people at the school and my Egyptian friends. Thus far I’ve taken 800 odd photos…Can I upload them…no, as the connection to the net is tenuous at best. So my plan right now is to stay in Cairo until October at which point I’ll head over to Lebanon, then Jordan, and then Israel. (Please note that I do not plan to buy my tickets for Beirut/Amman until August as there may be another war with Israel this summer…).

My apartment is very large but dirty…The landlord hasn’t seemingly rented it out since the last tenants who were apparently not good as the police were called over several times… I do have air-conditioning and a washing machine…and a shower…kinda…
Two weekends ago, I went to my Egyptian friend’s house for dinner and in many ways it was really odd. First off she lives in a bad area… think East New York or South Central bad. She lives with her mother, who divorced her dad (rarity) and one of her brothers… in a small apartment (but nice by Egyptian standards). My German friend came with me and as soon as the brother found out her nationality, he was thrilled and proceeded to show off his Hitler collection….yeah…not good. The food was great as was the female company…(I don’t really trust the brother). There was a lot of tradition Egyptian food and I was so stuffed!

This past weekend I went to the desert for two nights of camping and quiet. More on that later as I should be studying for tomorrow’s exam!

1 comment: